Here is my current engineering tool belt. I love these technologies and enjoy using
them for work and open-source projects.
I also used the following:
- SaltStack, Ansible & Vagrant for infrastructure automation (I prefer cloud-based solutions instead of automating in-house infrastructure)
- React Native for mobile app prototyping
There are also technologies that I used in the past but, I do not enjoy working with anymore (reason in brackets):
- Play (prefer single-page-apps with REST APIs)
- C# / VS (found it cumbersome compared to my current tool belt)
- Java/J2EE (too verbose)
- C++ (prefer Scala/Clojure for their functional programming)
- PHP (prefer Python for dynamically typed languages)
* Hadoop is an exception. I don't love working with Hadoop. It is a cumbersome beast that requires high maintenance. I prefer simpler solutions where possible and turn to Hadoop only as a last resort.